Monday, July 4, 2011

U.S. Constitution and Other Thoughts

So I took a stab at the U.S. Constitution test this last Friday in the hopes that I could pass it and start the process in order to obtain my credential.  WELL.  So much for that.  I'll have to retake that thing at the end of July.  I remember a lot of us sitting around and wondering why we had to take this test; why it was mandatory for us to pass this test.  I suppose the reason they want us to (and this is just my opinion) is so that we will be aware of the rights we and our students have.  Not only that, but since we are going to be professional teachers, role models, counselors, etc., I suppose we should be good citizens and know our Constitution and U.S. history and whatnot.  Again, that's just what I'm pulling from this.

A friend and I were sitting around thinking about how a year has gone by since we began our teaching (and observations).  We met our kids, helped out in the classroom, took over, and then taught them.  One could say we helped raise them (I mean, hey, they spend most of the day in school, five days a week, every day; we're like parents, too).  It was an amazing feeling: remembering what we had accomplished.  We sat around in silence for a few minutes, reflecting on our classes and the memories we had of our students.  I had jokingly said to my younger sister that one of the best things about being a teacher is you get a group of kids, you teach them for a year, help them grow, and then you let them go and grow up; it's like being a parent without really being a parent.  Anyway, that's me rambling on.  I really love watching my students excel and improve throughout the year.  It's amazing that what I teach them helps them learn and grow.  Or so I hope.  Even through all the hair-pulling moments when essays weren't exactly what I had hoped they'd be, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to do it again for the rest of my life.

Greets!

No comments:

Post a Comment